CTO Series: Data Curation in the Cloud: Why did we partner with KX? In the first of the series, hear from our CTO Patrick Dooher on why at INQDATA we unleash the power of kdb+ on the data curation process.
Data Curation refers to the process of collecting, organizing, and managing data to ensure its quality, accuracy and usability. It involves various activities such as data collection, cleansing, integration, transformation, validation and storage. The goal of data curation is to ensure that data is reliable, consistent, and accessible for analysis and decision-making purposes. At INQDATA we unleash the power of kdb+ on the data curation process so our clients can focus on generating actionable insights and driving business growth.
1. DataVolumes: The financial sector deals with vast amounts of data from various sources such as market data, customer information, transaction records, and regulatory filings. Managing and cleansing such large volumes of data can be overwhelming but kdb+ is specifically designed for handling this magnitude of data. As the financial sector continues to embrace digital transformation, and with the increasing use of advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence and machine learning, data volumes are only going to grow. Effectively harnessing and leveraging these increasing volumes is crucial for staying competitive and driving innovation.
2. Speed and Efficiency: One of the standout features of kdb+ is its exceptional speed and efficiency when handling large datasets. Data curation involves processing vast volumes of information to identify and rectify errors, inconsistencies, and inaccuracies. Kdb+’s unique architecture and built-in features like column-oriented storage, in-memory processing capabilities and native support for time-series operations and interoperability with other languages and technologies enables fast and efficient data ingestion, transformation, and analysis.
3. Scalability: Using kdb+ in a cloud infrastructure allows us to take advantage of the scalability, flexibility, and cost-effectiveness of cloud computing to enhance the data management processes. By scaling resources on demand, we can overcome the limitations imposed by compute resources and ensure that the ingestion and curation process is not hindered. This allows us to provide our clients with expedient, cost-optimised access to cleansed, accurate, and performant market data.
4. Integrated Analytics: An efficient data curation process involves more than just removing errors. Because kdb+ provides a wide range of built-in analytics functions and libraries providing statistical analysis, time-series calculations and machine learning capabilities we can study historical data for benchmarks and trends to optimize the quality of data presented to our clients beyond simple data cleansing rules.
5. Flexibility: Financial data comes in different formats - structured, semi-structured and unstructured data - making it challenging to standardize and manage effectively. Kdb+ supports a flexible data model, allowing for the storage and analysis within the same environment, facilitating programmatic tools and techniques to analysis the full data universe and optimise data quality.
In conclusion, data curation plays a crucial role in today's digital age. It ensures that data is accurate, reliable and accessible-enabling businesses and organizations to make informed decisions and gain valuable insights. The scalability, flexibility and cost-effectiveness afforded by kdb+ in a cloud environment makes it stands out as a powerful solution for this critical task and enables INQDATA to provide our clients access to a robust data curation process, leaving them free to focus on gaining a competitive edge in today's data-driven landscape.